Well, in the 4 weeks now that I have lived in LA, tons of things have happened to me that have never happened before...for example, before moving to LA I had never:
- Had a stranger come up to me and tell me I'm beautiful :)
- Had one homeless person tell another homeless person that I'm a rockstar on my way to London...oh yes!
- Had millions of job interviews and NO calls for a second interview or a job offer (It's always been a piece of cake for me to get a job...until I moved to LA).
- Been to a church service where I wasn't sure if the worship band was singing to God or just on some sort of hallucinogenic drug, like LSD :/
- Hit my head on the ceiling more than twice in a day (my bed is a loft bed that has literally 2 feet between the mattress and the ceiling and my torso+head is just about 2.5 feet so naturally, there have been, oh a LOT of collisions between my head and the ceiling...but hey...my dad made the bed frame for free and I haven't gotten any bruises yet so who's complaining...but it is still a first for me!)
- Fought with my sister about where a pack of matches should be kept...on the counter top or in a drawer (needless to say I was the one who wanted them PUT AWAY in a drawer and Mari was the fool who wanted them sitting out like they were a decoration...what a ridiculous fight, I know! A lot of things have changed for her since I moved in and she HATES change so I think the matches were like the last straw, haha)
- Had to spend enormous amounts of time getting ready every morning so that I look like a prom queen exiting my apartment complex (LA is a VERY superficial city and some people, including one of my roommates, have gotten job offers just by walking into a restaurant and looking like a super model, regardless of their experience...so I've been spending, for me, painful amounts of time getting ready everyday in order to get a job...UGH!)
- Gone to a place called a "park" that's actually just a bunch of dirt with a few dying brown trees spread around (yeah, so I've explored a lot of LA since getting here...gone to Chinatown, the Getty Museum, Venice Beach, Westwood (like the UCLA version of the UofM's Dinkytown), La Floridita (salsa dancing restaurant), Beverly Hills (Mari and I were literally the ONLY people walking on the sidewalk...EVERYONE in Beverly Hills drives from one place to the other and uses valet parking...so you really only see signs of human life when you're inside a building or at a valet parking stand), Downtown LA, and then the supposed "Central Park" of Los Angeles which is called Griffith Park...it says "park" in the name but really it's just a dessert on a hill with a few trees and dirt/sand paths through the sand piles...Mari and I hiked up to this Observatory that they have at the "park" and it was a 6.2 mile hike for us round trip!)
- Walked down the sidewalk and smelled urine everywhere I go :P
So...those are just a few of the crazy "first time ever" things that have been filling my time since moving here. I figure that's pretty short for a month's worth of new experiences, right?!
If you'd like to know more about my church, job hunting, exploring, apartment, or what God's been teaching me, I'll be posting that kind of news soon and you'll be able to read about those things (and see pictures/videos) by looking for one of those 5 different things in the "labels" box on the right side of the page...
Chow for now,
P.S. How do you like my playlist???